- There was no line at the hardware store.
- The person ahead of you paid for your dinner.
- You get the job, but they want to give you 10% more than you asked for because they want you to stick around.
We all are pleasantly surprised when something unexpected and positive happens to us.
Be the Unexpected
You can be an unexpected event in another person’s life. You don’t even have to pay for their dinner, give them a raise, or provide them with priority access to a store. Think about how you can give something unexpected to someone at no cost to yourself:
- Compliment someone on their good work
- Do some hard work for someone so that they can focus on something they like
- Introduce two people you know who have similar interests
- Smile and make eye contact
Give people the gift of an unexpected, positive experience. It won’t cost you anything, and it will mean the world to them.